The Senate represents the university community and is the highest authority of the Technical University of Moldova. The Senate has the functions of deliberation, decision and control and ensures the management of University in accordance with the legislation in force, the principles of university autonomy and its own decisions.
The Senate decisions are final and binding on all executive and administrative bodies of the University and for the entire university community. They can be modified only by the Senate.
Members of the Senate are elected for a period of 5 years at general meetings of faculties and departments by secret voting. Members of the Senate from students and doctoral candidates part are elected at the general meeting of the staff in question or their representatives for a period of one year by secret vote.
The composition of the Senate for 2016-2021 legislature was elected in accordance with Framework Regulation concerning the organization and functioning of the Governing Bodies of Higher Education Institutions from Moldova Republic implemented by Ministry of Education Order no. 10 of 01/14/2015.
The Senate composition: total 101 people, including 59 teachers, 25 students and PhD students, 16 representatives of departments, services and centers, a member of the Employees Trade Union Committee. The gender structure: 72% male, 28% female.
Functional structures of the Senate are:
- The Senate Office
- The Standing Commissions:
- Competition Commission
- Education and Quality Assurance Commission
- Scientific Research and Student Creativity Commission
- Budget, Finance and Resource Optimization Commission
- Internationalization, Cooperation and Partnership Commission
- Social Problems, Students’ Extracurricular Activities Commission
- Prizes Awarding Commission
- Discipline, Integrity and Ethics Commission
- Control of Enforcing The Senate Decisions Committee
- Special Commissions
- The Secretariat
President of the TUM Senate is the Rector of the University, dr. hab. Viorel Bostan.
The TUM Senate Secretary is assoc. prof., dr. Spiridon Rusu.
The Senate has the following competences and attributions:
- ensures the principle of academic freedom and university autonomy compliance;
- develops and approves the University Charter, Internal Regulation of TUM, Academic Code of Ethics and Conduct, Regulations of TUM subdivisions activity;
- develops and approves the Regulation regarding the election of the Rector, based on the Framework Regulation approved by the Ministry of Education;
- develops and approves the Regulation regarding the admission to TUM based on the Framework Regulation approved by the Ministry of Education;
- elects the deans of the faculties, heads of departments, heads of brances and scientific laboratories, elects and reelects the university professors also the associated professors, when for the first time;
- confirms, without the right of modification the list of The Institutional Strategic Development Council members (ISDC);
- organizes the election of two members in ISDC composition from the TUM Senate as external experts who are not in the TUM academic staff, in accordance with Education Code and the Regulation on Formation and functioning of TUM ISDC.
- approves the TUM Strategic Development Plan;
- approves the annual report of the Rector on financial, didactic, scientific and educational activity of the University;
- examines the main issues concerning the economic and social development of the University, the use of funds, approves the projects on budget structure and its realization, ways of obtaining the own revenues, donations, settlement of debts etc.;
- approves the budget of the institution and its implementation;
- develops and approves methodologies and regulations of organizing the activities and programs of study and research within the university, as well as methodologies and regulations of recruitment, hiring and evaluation of teaching staff;
- approves educational plans and the any amendments thereto in agreement with the Ministry of Education;
- approves the organizational and functional structure of the University;
- examines and approves the annual report of the rector on the work of administration, confirms reports of faculties, departments and other didactic-scientific, technical and administrative subdivisions, of the Administrative Board, approves the results of admission and license examination;
- approves the regulation of developing the agreements and conducting national and international cooperation programs of the TUM;
- approves the university affiliation to the academic and professional, national and international bodies;
- offers didactic and scientific titles of associate professor and university professor;
- awards the honorary title of “Doctor Honoris Causa” and “Honorary Senator”;
- examines and approves the awarding of teachers and students;
- approves the nominal list of scholars for Republican scholarships conferred by the Senate and other organizations.