Expected to be conducted for a period of 7 months, starting from June 1, 2020, the international project MODERNight-2020, won under the Horizon 2020 Program for the current year’s edition of the event known as “European Researchers Night”, will undergo essential changes regarding the format and date of the organization, these being caused by the current pandemic situation in the world.
The new format provides that most of the activities will be organized virtually, and those carried out in the traditional format will be conducted over live online broadcasts. The date and the main event of the project – the Night of European Researchers – will also be changed to November 27, although traditionally it would have taken place at the end of September.
In order to obtain financial support in organizing the event in the Republic of Moldova, the Consortium consisting of the Technical University of Moldova (coordinator), the Academy of Sciences of Moldova and the Institute for Development of the Information Society, submitted a project proposal under the Horizon Program at the beginning of this year, 2020, which, as a result of the evaluation, accumulated 14.5 points out of 15 possible, the project being accepted for funding.
Titled MODERNight-2020, the project has the following objectives:
- Carrying out an awareness campaign and promoting research and innovation activities implemented in the Republic of Moldova;
- Promoting communication between scientists and the general public by organizing the event;
- Supporting the public recognition of EU-funded researchers, in particular MSCA beneficiaries;
- Emphasizing the impact of research and innovation on daily life and social welfare;
- Attracting young people to the world of science, innovation and entrepreneurship and encouraging them to pursue a scientific career.
The transfer of activities from the traditional to the virtual environment will facilitate the participation of a wider audience at the event, including in rural areas, both in activities organized at national and global level.