Department of Economics and Management
The Department of Economics and Management belongs to the Faculty of Economic and Business Engineering. It was established on 1st January 2018 by integrating the Department of Economics and Management in Industry (EMI) and Department of Economics and Management in Construction (EMC).
Bachelor’s degrees are awarded in the subjects of Business Administration and Accounting and Master’s degrees are awarded in the subjects of Business Administration and Economics of Real Estate Affairs. PhDs are awarded in the subjects of Economy and Management.
The Department carries out a wide range of activities in training entrepreneurs to initiate and develop their own businesses. The department also prepares specialists in the field of accounting who focus on the construction industry.
Research areas and priorities:
- Competitiveness of business in the context of sustainable development;
- The role of quality management in increasing the competitiveness of the company;
- Commerce and its impact on the sustainable development of enterprises.
Enhancement of HR Capabilities:
- SME enterprise development;
- Improvement of higher education management;
- Management and management of change;
- Economic European integration;
- Sustainable development in the context of European Integration;
- Entrepreneurship and Startup business development.
Collaboration with EU organizations:
- University Dabrowa Górnicza (Poland);
- University ”Stefan cel Mare’’ ( Suceava, Romania);
- University “Transilvania” (Brasov, Romania);
- ZEI (Bonn, Germany);
- Aalborg University (Denmark).
Key research staff of the Department
Dr Rafael Ciloci (Dean of the Faculty of Economical Engineering and Business since 2018)
Areas of scientific interest: entrepreneurship, startup business, economics of international relations, management.
He was chief of department for 5 years and coordinator of the Educational Center of Entrepreneurship for 3 years. He participated in Fulbright Program research in the field of International Business at Texas University, USA (2008-2009) and DAAD program research in the field of European Integration, ZEI Bonn, Germany (2012-2013). He was awarded the diploma of ministry of Education and Science (2016) (this diploma is awarded for best professionals in education) and medal of “Civic merit’’ (2019).
He has participated in many projects including:
- TACIS “Supporting of High School Economical Education in the Republic of Moldova’’1998;
- TEMPUS “Implementing MS studies in Computer Science’’ Tempus-JEP 10230, 1999-2001 and,” Implementing MBA studies at Technical University of Moldova’’, 2001;
- EURASIA and foundation “International Center of Entrepreneurship at Technical University of Moldova’’, 2003-2005;
- Joint Operational Program,” Black Sea Basin 2007-2013’’, ”Maritime network of education for the development of the maritime culture in the Back-Sea basin’’ N 220.127.116.11789.230 (TR09C1.01/230), 2013-2015;
- Erasmus + staff mobility for teaching “Specifics of Startup Business’’ at SMK University, Lithuania 2017, No. TRS/E/STA/17-09, Lithuania and Dobrowa Gornitza University, Poland, 2018;
- Coordinator of Erasmus + project,” Higher Education Institutions for Youth Entrepreneurship’’ at Technical University of Moldova, N 589942-EPP-1-2017-1-UA-EPPKA2-CBY-EP-PE·,2017-2019;
- “Moldova Higher Education Leadership and management’’ N 609656-EPP-1-2019-1-MD-EPPKA2-CBHE-SP, 2019-2022;
- Jean Monnet, “Sustainable Industrial Development in the Context of European ‘’ N 610848-EPP-1-2019-1-MD-EPPJMO-MODULE, 2019-2022.
Dr Maria Gheorghita (Professor of the Economics and Management Department)
Areas of scientific interest: restructuring enterprises, finance, quality management, competitive development.
Dr Gheorghita has more than 45 years of experience in activities including: industry assessments and analysis, diagnostic and financial analysis, competitiveness enhancement and business planning, financial management, operational management, and enterprise restructuring throughout Moldova, Slovenia, and the Czech Republic.
She has designed and conducted multi-component training activities for industrial company managers including: managing international joint ventures; integrated quality management systems; industry analysis and competitiveness assessments; entrepreneur risks.
She participated in the development of different scientific research activities for the Government of the Republic of Moldova, including: Roadmap for the competitive development of Moldova’s Light Industry; White Paper for Moldova’s Light Industry; Assessment of industrial sectors with potential for development; Program for light industry development until 2015; cost of doing business in Moldova.
She has written more than 170 articles and 6 books on: company restructuring; corporate project management and Human Resources Development; motivation in the textile industry.
As a researcher at the research Institute of Food Industry of Moldova (1974-1988) she was concerned with the development of methodology of price calculation for the products of the complex processing of raw materials and the efficiency of technical and technological innovations.
As a consultant, she participated In following international projects: advisor in the SMECTA Project financed by EU (1993); Team Leader in the “Restructuring of Industrial Enterprises” Project funded by the World Bank and implemented by ARIA Agency (1995-2000); Coordinator and trainer in the Program for Managing Skills, CEEPN Academy in Slovenia and the Agency for Restructuring Enterprises in Moldova (1999, 2002); Team Leader in the TACIS Project “Development and implementation of quality management systems according to the international standard ISO 9000” (2000-2005); Expert in the Project “Trade Diagnostic Study for Moldova’s Fashion Industry” financed by the World Bank (2003);
She was also a part time Economic-financial expert in the “Development of the partnership in the food industry”, international project financed by USAID Washington (2000-2004); Coordinator and trainer in the Program for Managing Skills, the INPRO Institute in the Czech Republic and the Agency for Restructuring Enterprises in Moldova (2005); Short-term financial Expert at the consulting firm RKF, London (November 2004-February 2005); Light Industry Team Leader, Productivity Expert in the “Moldova Competitiveness Project” Funded by USAID, Government of Sweden and UK aid and Implemented by Chemonics International Inc. (2005- present).
Dr Rina TURCAN (Chief of department Economy and Management since 2018)
Areas of scientific interest: entrepreneurship, statistics, management, quality management
She was Quality Manager within the Faculty of Economic and Business Engineering for 10 years (2008 – 2018) and an expert-evaluator in the National Agency for Quality Assurance in Professional Education in Republic of Moldova (economic profile) (2017-2018).
She was awarded with the diploma of ministry of Education and Science (2019); this diploma is awarded for best professionals in education.
She has participated in following international projects:
- MEEETA II project “Activity entrepreneurship training and the employment” implemented by Winrock Moldova with financial support of the Foundation Liechtenstein Development Service (LED) (2011-2012);
- Developing and piloting curricula in “Basics of Entrepreneurship” for secondary vocational education in Moldova (2012);
- Horizon 2020 project Nutritional Labeling Study in Black Sea Region Countries (Project: 318946 – FP7-PEOPLE – 2012 – IRSES (2013-2015);
- Erasmus + project,” Higher Education Institutions for Youth Entrepreneurship’’ at Technical University of Moldova (2018-2019);
- Erasmus+ 609656-EPP-1-2019-1-MD-EPPKA2-CBHE-SP “Moldova Higher Education Leadership and Management” – MHELM.
Date: 11th March 2020. Edited by Michael Remes, EFPC
For H2020 and other EU funding opportunities, please contact Prof. Michael Remes