On August 11, 2020, the Council for Institutional Strategic Development of the Technical University of Moldova met for the first time in its new composition, appointed for a five-year term. The meeting was held differently than usual: in a mixed format, seven members of the high forum being present in the room, and two others – remotely, in the virtual office of the Cisco Webex application, the connection being provided with the support of the Information and Communication Technology Department.
Despite this less ordinary work regime, conditioned by the COVID-19 pandemic, the UTM Strategic Institutional Development Council followed the predetermined agenda thoroughly. Thus, during the meeting organized by the rector of UTM, prof., Dr. Viorel BOSTAN, the CDSI members proposed and elected unanimously the governing bodies of the Council:
- President of CDSI – prof., Dr. Eng. Ioan Vasile ABRUDAN, rector of Transilvania University of Brașov, Doctor Honoris Causa of UTM;
- Vice President of CDSI – assoc. prof., Dr. Viorelia MOLDOVAN-BĂTRÎNAC, Head of the Control Body of the Prime Minister of the Republic of Moldova;
- Secretary of CDSI – prof., Dr. Maria GHEORGHIŢĂ, Faculty of Economic Engineering and Business of UTM.
The rector explained that it is very unlikely for the new academic year to take place in the classical standard style, a hybrid scenario being up for discussion, which provides for the presence of students in small groups, with physical participation only in practical activities, laboratory work, and lectures for courses with a small number of students in the classroom, the lectures for larger numbers being organized online. These measures are intended to prevent the spread of the virus. Also, depending on the progress of the epidemiological situation and the recommendations of the National Extraordinary Public Health Commission, but also of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Research of the Republic of Moldova, the scenario we hope to implement, starting with the spring semester, is to return to the standard way of teaching, which is exceptionally necessary for higher education in engineering!
In addition, the rector informed the members of the CDSI of the interim results of the admission competition, as well as the current method of submitting the documents in their original form, so that on August 20 the final results of the first round will be announced.
The “miscellaneous” section of the agenda included very important topics for the proper functioning of UTM in 2020/2021, but also strategic issues for the efficient development of higher education in engineering: elaboration and promotion of the strategic objectives for the development-consolidation of UTM through the full realization of the CDSI attributions, especially in the issues related to the development of human resources, patrimony, attracting investment and complementary funding, expanding public-private partnerships, deepening relations with the industry, strengthening educational and research capacities, all these objectives being systematically correlated with the University Strategic Development Plan.
We mention the chronological formation of the new structural constitution of CDSI-UTM:
– on May 26, 2020, within the UTM Senate, based on the provisions of the Education Code, the UTM Charter and the Regulation on the formation and functioning of the CDSI of UTM, the Senate organized the election of two external experts – holders of experience and skills in the fields corresponding to the mission and directions of activity of CDSI, at the same time they are:
- prof., Dr. Eng. Ioan Vasile ABRUDAN, rector of Transilvania University of Brașov, DHC of UTM;
- Veaceslav ŞUTCHEVICI, manager, Investment Promotion component of the project Advising the Government of the Republic of Moldova on economic policies, GIZ Moldova.
– on 19 May, 2020, the general assembly of the members of the Faculty Councils and of the student-member representatives of the Senate and of the UTM Faculty Councils elected, by secret ballot, two members of the Council for Institutional Strategic Development from among the tenured UTM teachers: Victor CATANĂ and Maria GHEORGHIŢĂ.
– on May 19, 2020, the Ministry of Education, Culture and Research of the Republic of Moldova, as founder of the University, appointed the following persons as members of CDSI:
- Doina NISTOR, director of the Competitiveness Project of USAID Moldova;
- Ana CHIRIŢĂ, director of Strategic Projects ATIC (National Association of ICT Companies).
– on June 18, 2020, the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Moldova appointed the candidacy of assoc. prof., Dr. Viorelia MOLDOVAN-BĂTRÎNAC, head of the Control Body of the Prime Minister of the Republic of Moldova, as a member of CDSI UTM.
– according to the Regulation on the formation and functioning of the Council for Strategic Institutional Development of the Technical University of Moldova, the rector and vice-rector of UTM responsible for financial issues are ex officio members of the high forum.
In this context, we express our sincere congratulations to the members of the new constitution of CDSI and the elected governing bodies, for the trust they earned in the great team of UTM, wishing them success and selflessness in their activity in the supreme forum of the Technical University of Moldova!